Amico Infrastructures Inc., on behalf of the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority (WDBA), has begun its Early Works construction activities to prepare the Canadian Port of Entry for the new Gordie Howe International Bridge project.
There are three components to Early Works:
- construction of a perimeter access road (PAR)
- utility relocation
- the placement of fill, grading and drainage.
Early Works construction is expected to be complete by December 31, 2016.
One of the first requirements of Early Works was the installation of an exclusion fence around the Canadian Port of Entry. The fence is designed:
- to isolate the construction area, effectively keeping wildlife and species at risk (SAR) out of the area where activities are taking place
- to prevent wildlife and SAR, in particular snakes, such as the Eastern Foxsnake and Butler’s Gartersnake, and other species from climbing over or burrowing under the fence and re-establishing their habitat on the active side of the construction site
- to minimize the impact of construction activities on adjacent properties and areas not part of the Canadian Port of Entry.
Illustration of an exclusion fence and its function
The exclusion fence is made of geotextile material that is securely fastened to prefabricated wood frame sections that attach to posts. A section of the geotextile material will extend toward the species side in a trench. The trench is backfilled and the earth is packed down to complete the installation.
The construction side is inspected regularly to identify any species that have re-entered the fenced area. If necessary, a certified environmental specialist will safely relocate any SAR found. As well the exclusion fence will be routinely inspected and maintained.
Learn more about the Early Works activities at www.gordiehoweinternationalbridge.com/en/early-works.
For more information about the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority and the Gordie Howe International Bridge project visit www.gordiehoweinternationalbridge.com. Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/WDBAbridge, like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/WDBAbridge and connect with us on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/company/wdba-apwd.