For immediate release
New members named to the Board of Directors of Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority
November 1, 2017 Ottawa, Ontario Infrastructure Canada
The Government of Canada is making investments that will help create good middle-class jobs, promote trade and productivity, and grow the economy. The Gordie Howe International Bridge will make the flow of people and goods faster, simpler and more secure at one of the busiest Canada-U.S. border crossings.
The Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, today announced the appointment of the following five people to the Board of Directors of Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority (WDBA):
- Karla Avis
- Marie Campagna (former interim member of the Board)
- Judi Cohen
- Shelly Cunningham
- Rish Malhotra
The WDBA’s Board of Directors was expanded in August from five to nine members to provide the organization with additional expertise and oversight to support the Gordie Howe International Bridge Project as it moves towards completion of the procurement process and the start of construction on the major components of this complex international project.
The varied skills, expertise and knowledge of the new Board members will contribute vital direction and sound governance to WDBA and ensure that the Gordie Howe International Bridge project moves forward expeditiously and efficiently.
“It is my pleasure to announce this esteemed group of professionals as members of the Board of Directors for WDBA. This is yet another important milestone in the advancement of the Gordie Howe International Bridge project, which remains one of Canada’s top infrastructure priorities.”
The Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
- The new six-lane Gordie Howe International Bridge will provide the much-needed crossing capacity between Windsor, Ontario, and Detroit, Michigan, as well as meet the long-term traffic requirements for the Windsor-Detroit trade corridor – the busiest trade corridor between Canada and the United States.
- WDBA is a not-for-profit Canadian Crown corporation that manages the procurement process for the design, construction, operation and maintenance of the Gordie Howe International Bridge. WDBA is also responsible for project oversight including the actual construction and operation of the new crossing.
- In November 2016, WDBA issued the Request for Proposals to three qualified Proponent teams for the Gordie Howe International Bridge project. It is also overseeing important preparatory works on both sides of the border.
- In October 2017 former interim Board member André Juneau was named new Chief Operating Officer of WDBA.
- These new members join the existing permanent Board members including Board Chair, Dwight Duncan.
- Windsor Detroit Bridge Authority.
- Infrastructure Canada and the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority.
- Government of Canada’s $180-billion+ infrastructure plan
- 30 -
Office of the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
brook.simpson [at] Canada.ca
Toll free: 1-877-250-7154
infc.media-medias.infc [at] canada.ca
Web: Infrastructure Canada