Windsor, Ontario • Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority (WDBA) welcomes the Special Examination Report from the Office of the Auditor General of Canada, which covers the period from February 1, 2021, to December 31, 2021.
The special examination process is conducted every ten years as per the Financial Administration Act. The audit examines the systems and practices that are key to providing a Crown corporation with reasonable assurance that its assets are safeguarded and controlled, its resources are managed economically and efficiently, and its operations are effectively carried out. For the purposes of the WDBA audit, the OAG investigated the areas of corporate management and management of operations.
According to the report published on WDBA’s website, the Crown corporation maintained systems and practices related to, among other areas, management of its project agreement, operational readiness, and stakeholder and shareholder relations. The OAG found deficiency in the systems and practices that support board oversight. WDBA will develop and release an action plan in response to the recommendations contained in the report.
“Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority agrees with the recommendations from the Office of the Auditor General. We look forward to continuing to deliver on our mandate – the delivery and then operations of the Gordie Howe International Bridge – with enhanced management practices improved as a result of this audit.”
- Bryce Phillips, CEO, Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority
- Created in 2012, Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority (WDBA) is a not-for-profit Crown corporation which reports to Parliament through the Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Infrastructure and Communities.
- The special examination included interviews with members of the Board of Directors, senior management, employees of the corporation, and key stakeholders as well as the review of key documents.
- This Special Examination Report will be included in the Reports of the Auditor General of Canada to be presented to Parliament in fall 2022.
- Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority – Who We Are
- Gordie Howe International Bridge project
- Special Examination Report from the Office of the Auditor General
ABOUT WINDSOR-DETROIT BRIDGE AUTHORITY
Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority (WDBA) is a not-for-profit Canadian Crown corporation created to deliver the Gordie Howe International Bridge project between Windsor, ON and Detroit, MI through a public- private partnership (P3). WDBA is responsible for overseeing and managing the construction and operation of the new crossing. For more information on WDBA visit www.GordieHoweInternationalBridge.com and follow the project on Twitter at www.twitter.com/GordieHoweBrg.
- 30 -
Media Relations Team