The Gordie Howe International Bridge project requires significant construction activity, including the demolition and removal of existing infrastructure, reconstruction of select roadways and bridges, and construction of new project infrastructure.
One of the project components is the Michigan Interchange connecting to Interstate-75. Approximately three kilometres or 1.8 miles of I-75 between Springwells Street and Clark Street will require modifications to accommodate the ramps connecting to the US Port of Entry (POE). The ramps are designed to minimize the impact interstate/international traffic may have on local roads located in the vicinity of the US POE.
Michigan Interchange activities also include associated local road improvements. Over a dozen roadway and pedestrian bridges crossing I-75 and ranging in length from 30 to 518 metres or 100 to 1,700 feet will need to be constructed.
The Michigan Interchange activities are being constructed along a three kilometer/1.8 mile section of I-75 between west of Springwells Street to east of Clark Street.
The Michigan Interchange activities will be delivered in four phases.
Phase 1 – Scheduled to begin in fall 2019 and ending in winter 2020
- The Springwells Street, Livernois Avenue and Clark Street road bridges, and the Solvay Street pedestrian bridge crossing I-75, will be removed and rebuilt.
- The I-75 shoulder will be widened near the road bridges.
- Construction of the connecting ramps, including pier construction along the I-75 median for the ramps will begin.
- Reconstruction of I-75 between approximately 1,200 feet west of Springwells Street to Green Street.
Phase 2 – Scheduled to begin in winter 2020 and end in spring 2022
- The Green Street road bridge and the Beard Street pedestrian bridge crossing I-75, will be removed and rebuilt.
- Reconstruction of I-75 West Fisher Service drives (northbound and southbound) between Green Street and Livernois Avenue.
- Construction of ramps connecting I-75 with the US POE will continue.
Phase 3 – Scheduled to begin in spring 2021 and end in winter 2022
- The I-75 northbound West Fisher Service Drive and the I-75 shoulders will be rebuilt between Green Street and Livernois Avenue.
- The I-75 southbound West Fisher Service Drive will be rebuilt from Junction Street to Livernois Avenue.
- The southbound I-75 onramp at Clark Street, northbound I-75 onramp from Livernois Avenue, and northbound I-75 offramp to Campbell Street will be completed during this phase.
Phase 4 – Scheduled to start in winter 2022 and end in winter 2023
- Reconstruction of Fort Street, Jefferson Avenue, and Clark Street.
- The northbound I-75 exit ramp at Clark Street and the southbound entrance ramp from Clark Street will be removed.
- Work on the I-75 West Fisher Service drives will be completed between Junction Street and Clark Street.
- The I-75 will be widened in the area of the I-75 northbound and southbound exit ramps at Clark Street.
Information on traffic detours, road closures and detailed maps of the construction areas can be found at our detours and road closures.