Windsor, Ontario – Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority (WDBA) and Bridging North America (BNA) have earned a prestigious Envision™ Platinum Award for the Gordie Howe International Bridge project. This certification is the highest possible distinction from the Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure (ISI) which recognizes efforts to achieve sustainable development and environmental performance standards at every stage of an infrastructure project, from design to construction and implementation.
This achievement is the result of three years of effort by the project team and was determined through an independent peer-review process that saw the project evaluated across 60 sustainability criteria. ISI verified the project evaluation.
Key sustainability features of the Gordie Howe International Bridge project noted in the peer review include:
- 100 per cent of the project is located on previously developed lands, with part of it being located on a former (remediated) brownfield site
- a new prairie habitat and habitat for pollinators will be provided, a peregrine falcon box will be installed and thousands of trees will be planted
- to address the risk of increased intensity and severity of precipitation over time, the project includes stormwater ponds, low-impact development, and bioswales that manage stormwater going into the public system or entering the waterway
- transportation benefits that address climate change and regional development will be realized including relief of traffic congestion of freight trucks in nearby neighbourhoods on both sides of the bridge, improved border processing for freight and travellers with highway-to-highway connectivity, and connectivity of existing routes and creation of safer routes for pedestrians and cyclists
- a comprehensive Community Benefits Plan is being delivered
- thousands of direct and indirect jobs are being created both during the design-build phase and when the bridge is in operation.
“The Envision Platinum Award is an outstanding achievement and I would like to congratulate the teams involved for their commitment to meet the highest environmental standards for sustainable infrastructure. The Gordie Howe International Bridge project will not only address regional transportation needs to help grow the economies in Canada and the US, it has been designed to contribute to a cleaner environment, protect the communities of Windsor and Detroit from the impacts of climate change and conserve resources for future generations.”
– Bryce Phillips, CEO, Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority
“We are proud to share the prestigious Envision Platinum Award. Through a collaborative process with WDBA, our staff developed key performance indicators with sustainability objectives that led to increased levels of achievement across the Envision rating system. It is an honour to be recognized with the highest possible distinction for our commitment to the environment and sustainable infrastructure.”
– Michael Hatchell, CEO, Bridging North America
“This project is a symbol of international cooperation between two great countries. It provides proof that when we work together collaboratively and learn from each other, we can achieve outcomes that benefit people, the planet, and improve economic prosperity. The degree to which sustainability has been baked into the design and decision-making processes of this project is impressive. The team deserves to be commended for leadership in sustainability.”
– Melissa Peneycad, Managing Director, Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure
- The Gordie Howe International Bridge project is an example of sustainable infrastructure – one that is socially, environmentally and economically responsible.
- The four components of Gordie Howe International Bridge project make it one of the largest infrastructure projects in North America. The bridge and Michigan Interchange are designed to meet the Envision Platinum rating. The Canadian and US Ports of Entry are designed to meet LEED v4 Silver rating.
- The project Community Benefits Plan includes $20 million in direct community investments including trail connections, road and park improvements, home improvements, arts and culture initiatives and a contribution to a wildlife eco-passage.
- WDBA’s Sustainability Commitment and Environmental Highlights
- WDBA wins P3 Environmental, Social and Governance Performance of the Year award.
- Latest Community Benefits Report
ABOUT WINDSOR-DETROIT BRIDGE AUTHORITY
Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority (WDBA) is a not-for-profit Canadian Crown corporation created to deliver the Gordie Howe International Bridge project between Windsor, ON and Detroit, MI through a public-private partnership (P3). WDBA is responsible for overseeing and managing the construction and operation of the new crossing. For more information visit www.GordieHoweInternationalBridge.com and follow the project on Twitter at www.twitter.com/GordieHoweBrg.
ABOUT BRIDGING NORTH AMERICA
Bridging North America (BNA) became the private-sector partner to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the Gordie Howe International Bridge project in September 2018. BNA is comprised of some of the most recognized leaders in the construction and infrastructure industry which includes North American and international companies. BNA partners have significant experience carrying out major infrastructure projects such as the Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway in Windsor, Ontario; New Champlain Bridge Corridor in Montreal, Quebec; Autoroute 30 in Montreal, Quebec; Eglinton Crosstown LRT in Toronto, Ontario; Réseau Express Métropolitain (REM) in Montreal, Quebec; Automated People Mover at LAX Airport, California; Harbor Bridge, Corpus Christi, Texas; Tappan Zee Bridge in New York and San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, California
ABOUT THE INSTITUTE FOR SUSTAINABLE INFRASTRUCTURE
The Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure (ISI) is a non-profit organization, based in Washington, founded by the American Public Works Association, the American Society of Civil Engineers and the American Council of Engineering Companies.
Gordie Howe International Bridge
Media Relations Team